Thursday, August 3, 2017

Australia 2017: Post 3

On my recent art expedition in Australia,  I started in Melbourne and went to Ballarat - both in Victoria. From there I headed to Lismore in New South Wales for another week long adventure as part of Fibre Arts Australia.

While we flew between events, I don't seem to be able to go to Australia without being packed into a van with many other artists as well.


Three months earlier a huge flood overtook Lismore and the surrounds. 20,000+ people had been evacuated and happily there were no deaths. There was a lot of destruction however and much of the main part of town was still effected. I was thrilled to be part of a group that was bringing people and commerce to the town.

The workshops were held at St. John's College in Woodlawn, just a few minutes outside Lismore. Evidence that we were in Australia was all around.



My workshop, a Library of Memories, was held in the science building.


We had a lot of fun in the lab with all the equipment and specimens.


We even stopped for a visit in the lab shower...


...which is well worth seeing empty too!


We painted, booked, collaged, embossed, drilled, glued, assembled, attached, and more.


Not sure I managed to get pics of every project but the photos below show just how talented this group was.










While I was there I had some time to create myself and seemed to be drawn to small works with a good deal of stitching and fabric bits. It was Fibre Arts Australia after all.









As a group, we all made a modified star book to auction off for a charity -- benefiting a homeless shelter in Lismore.


As wonderful as the art was, it is always the people who made these events special.


Sending a big thank you to Glenys Mann, the brains behind the event, for inviting me to be a part of the crew. 


A bigger thank you for inviting me back next year. My workshop in Ballarat is already full but there are a few spaces left in Woodlawn. Wanna join me mate?

Next up: Off to Sydney for more workshops.

12 comments:

Helen said...

amazing art projects from the class, and some equally amazing memories from your trip, I bet.

Jeann of Melton said...

I have been thoroughly enjoying your posts. Thank you Seth.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Such fun to see YOUR art and the class's art, too. Really a lot of talent down under.

Debbi Baker said...

Looks like the fun continued!!! You go Seth!

craftytrog said...

Great photos Seth, and WOW at the art! Some amazing pieces there from everyone!
Alison

Jo Murray said...

Great images Setho....wonderful memories for you.

Glenys said...

Thanks Seth! Not pouting anymore! And thanks sooo much, mate, for the huge promo of Fibre Arts Australia...very much appreciated!
Much love
Glenys xx

Squiddy said...

Sure was a great week, dorms and all!

A Pink said...

You have truly expressed the fun you and everyone else had in your words and pictures Seth , I'm just sat here smiling and swooning over all the amazing creativity. Wow, all those textures and fibres .... !
Once again my thanks is yours for sharing your amazing adventure!
Looking forward to Sydney - see you there :)
x

sarascloset said...

Wow! Look at that ART! Looks like a great time was had by all! Thank you for sharing your amazing journey!

Karen said...

Wow what a great experience!!

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Thank you Seth. Your enthusiasm and desire to learn the "Aussie Lingo" were something else.
Thank you also for highlighting the terrible pain that my beautiful town has endured. Recovery is slow BUT it is happening through the generosity of groups like Fibre Arts Australia.
See you in 2018.