Wednesday, July 25, 2012

reCREATE

I had the time of my life at CREATE NJ Mixed Media Retreat last week. The experience of being with hundreds of people who just get it is very special. If you have never been to one of the big art retreats, now is the time to give it some serious thought. And if you need a reference guide, you can always check out Destination Creativity, by Rice Freeman-Zachery.

I taught three workshops on two back-to-back days. 

1. A Box of Dreams

Happy people

A work in progress

Some of the crew and their finished boxes

2. Mixed Media Dossier

Yeah...this is fun

Hurry up and dry

It is all about the texture

Deb's amazing 50s-themed dossier

Job well done

3. Text Tiles

Background complete

Love that color combination

Now that is a lot of layers

Starting on panel number 2

Something we all need

The definition of art!


I participated in the Artist's Faire vendor night but happily I was too busy (and exhausted) to take many pictures

My table before the rush

My favorite part of the retreat was catching up with online friends that I had already met, meeting some special online friends for the first time, and being introduced to so many amazing and talented artists who were taking my classes or attending the retreat. Already I cannot wait until next year!

Sending out thanks to Jenn Mason and Cate Prato, along with Maggie, Bev, Beth and Rebecca, for organizing such a fun, well-run and seamless retreat. 

Lousy picture of Maggie and Jenn at the Artist's Faire raffle

21 comments:

elle said...

Brain wave! Pretty cute! Looks like a great time was had by all.

Maria Avila said...

I would love to be in this MM Retreat.

Sharon W. said...

It was an awesome experience...I know I whined about the intense pace, but I am delighted with the work completed (it just awaits stamps and rub on etc). Thanks again!!!

Lynn Cohen said...

Such excitement.I can feel it through the words!

Carol said...

Oh those lucky people! Looks great.

bohemiannie! art said...

Now you can put your feet up (but just for a minute) and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

A Magical Whimsy said...

Loved the photos of the retreat! I order mixed media magazines on Etsy from one of the gals who attended your class...Judith Q. Wish I could have been there too!

Laura said...

Wow what a great time

nancy neva gagliano said...

carry on, Xciting reCREATIONS.....with you Nspirations.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Looks like such fun. One of these days I'll have to try one.

hollyllama said...

I SO want to do this! Any chance you could come to the Detroit area?? :D

Bill said...

I second Holly's comment just above. :^)

Bill

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It sounds like a good time and a lot of learning was had by all. You know, as awesome as your camera is, it's good to know not every photo is award worthy (grin).

ArtPropelled said...

I can see your workshops were a great success. Well done Seth. So glad you had fun!

elizabeth said...

This seems such a wonderful event.
So much creativity out there and so much energy.
I used to do short poetry workshops as 'staff enrichment' at my school district.
Lots of people who had never written poetry before came away feeling all buzzed up and 'empowered' --hate that word but you know what I mean!
Looking forward to seeing you.

Parabolic Muse said...

I LOVE THIS WRAP UP!
I wish I'd been there. Congrats!

.Trudi Sissons said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous, all be it, busy time!!!

sf said...

You rocked another one!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah you guys had fun. Way fun. Awesome. It makes my heart sing to think of you all together...creating...sharing...and then sharing here with the world at large. Thanks for the fun show and tell!!! *smiles* Norma

PattiSokol said...

Seth-I had such a great time in your class. I hope you will be able to stop by and see me at my booth at Summer Streets. My booth will be at 51st and Park on August 11th from 7am -1pm. It's called Street SmART.

PattiSokol said...

Seth-I had such a great time in your class. I hope you will be able to stop by and see me at my booth at Summer Streets. My booth will be at 51st and Park on August 11th from 7am -1pm. It's called Street SmART.