Sunday, February 13, 2011

Collectors Edition: Chapter 7


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Links to the first four projects (Secret Sunday, The Book Guild, StudioScapes, Viewer's Choice) can be found on the sidebar of my blog.



Collectors Edition is the fifth installment in which your favorite artists share their favorite collection or obsession.
_______________



My current and pretty much life long obsession would have to be photography.  I don't think that I will ever grow tired of capturing moments of life and the world around me through my lens.
_______________



My first collection/obsession started when I was a child playing in the creek, and I’ve been a rock/fossil/shell collector ever since. They are all over my house; instead of knick-knacks like most people have, my tables and mantle are covered with rocks and fossils. Some are displayed on stands, some sit on shelves, and others fill bowls or baskets here and there.

My other obsession is gardening; planting seeds and watching them grow is magical to me. Working in my garden is how I relax- it’s like meditation.
_______________

 

Well it's sort of an obsession with me, book fairies keep abandoning books on my porch to become new works of art. It's amazing and wonderful for me. How cool!
_______________



This image is an example of my latest obsession - I guess I just like getting sticky! These pieces start out as pictures from the pages of Vogue and Country Living!
_______________



Vintage millinery flowers.
_______________



My current obsession is "layering layers of paint", something I learned at an online workshop with Julie Prichard. This technique was new to me and I love to combine it with other techniques and materials and use it in journals, books, canvasses, ATC's, etc. This is a detail of an ATC.
_______________



Collecting Indian wooden print blocks for use in my work.
_______________



art journal - playbook - collage
_______________

 

My favorite obsession/collection is 9x12 spiral sketchbooks which I've been working in every day for about two years. I am also obsessed with sketching portraits. I always decorate the cover before I start a new sketchbook, at first I used scrapbook paper and now I've moved on to designing my own covers, usually featuring a favorite portrait. I also save the 'carcass' when I weed-out of rearrange the pages. This way I can recycle and create a new sketchbook as needed.
_______________



I love to collect old photographs to use in art. Portraits, landscapes, still life, you name it. The older the better, and I even love the deterioration that comes with them! I have an enormous collection stored on cd’s, but that would make for a boring photograph!


Recently I purchased an antique photo album from the Victorian period. It is embossed leather (which I cannot resist touching, you know how it is with textures, LOL!) with gilt pages, some with painted scenes and it is filled with old photographs many from the 1800’s. I love it and it has become a valuable resource for portraits for art and also just for the sheer pleasure of it! I love faces!
_______________

Next Collectors Edition Post - 2/20/11

11 comments:

jaihn said...

Thank you for including me, Seth! xxx

jill zaheer said...

Another Collectors Edition "look for" sunday post! Can't believe it but the variation and wondrous look into peoples' passions continue to fascinate me. The photography is spectacular once again! Thanks so much Seth!

jgr said...

Hi Seth, thank you! I'm excited to be part of this. It is great timing too, the latest post on my blog is about the same sketchbook obsession using different (more recent) photos. I couldn't have planned it any better.

Caterina Giglio said...

the collection of 9x12 journals is pretty amazing and so is that gorgeous journal that Kim is hoarding!!

Kim Palmer said...

Love the sketchbook collection, how interesting is that! Thanks for including me in this fun glimpse into the obsessions of others Seth. Azirca's photographs are gorgeous!

Leslie said...

I love seeing what others collect, especially since much of it is what I also collect!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

aahhhh, another visual feast and food for thought! I appreciate your doing this so much. Have a great day!
patti

Anonymous said...

lovely collections! they are all so great (though my head is still swimming with visions of the last piece you posted that i just now saw for the first time....).

Kelly said...

Looove those indian wooden blocks. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

your e-mail address don't work.
sharp97@gmail.com
please check on it and correct it so I can send you a message.

Seth said...

anonymous, my email is
shap97@gmail.com and not
shaRp97@gmail.com if you would like to write