Sunday, June 20, 2010

Book Guild - Chapter 11


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Secret Sunday was the first project and the links to all the secrets can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The Book Guild is the second project and Chapter 11 starts right now!


All artists participating in The Pulse were asked to name their favorite art books. The Book Guild will present this list, along with links, book reviews, giveaways, and interviews with many of your favorite authors. And as members of The Guild, I am hoping YOU will participate by leaving comments related to the books in each post - for example thoughts, book reviews, personal experiences, or a link back to your own blog posts that include artwork based on a project in the listed book.
_______________

Chapter 11: Multiples

Many authors and books were chosen by more than one artist as their favorite and today a few of these multiples are highlighted...

Three of Nick Bantock's books were listed as favorites:

Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence


Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence was included on the lists of Maj Carita Hoenborg and Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart, who adds "Nick Bantock has written many wonderful books with extraordinary correspondence and illustrations between two characters Griffin and Sabine. The artwork will mesmerize the viewer. I think they first came out in the early 1990’s. Sabine’s Notebook, Griffin and Sabine and the Golden Mean are still vibrant today and their intimate messages display the continual search for harmony and perfect balance. It is like reading someone else’s mail and silly as it may sound a delicate prelude to today’s blogging experiences."

The Artful Dodger: Images and Reflections


The Artful Dodger: Images and Reflections was selected by Curio (aka Sonia Simard), Sharmon Davidson, and Michele Jackson.

About this book Curio said "I have a lot of art books and all have something to offer but when I am looking for inspiration nothing beats The Artful Dodger, the autobiography of Nick Bantock. I do have most of his books but derived a great deal of insight from that one in particular."

Michele added "This book was another important book for me as far as gaining artistic self confidence. A line I remember is Bantock describing himself when he entered art school: "...I couldn't draw in proportion, couldn't make three marks without erasing two, and had virtually no color sense." Bantock let me know that skills can be learned and improved through practice. This gave me the courage to learn to draw."

Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera


Angela Negro chose Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera as a favorite.
_______________

The Artist's Way


The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron was selected by four participants as a favorite: Carol Henley, Cyn Richardson, Jennifer Lorton, and Judy Wise.

Of this book Carol said, "Years ago I got into the Julian Cameron books and I am amazed that they are still as popular today, or maybe more so, than they were then. I used her ideas from The Artist’s Way At Work, to help me survive my job until I retired. I am thankful for that book!"
_______________

Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic


Both Kim Palmer and Sally Turlington selected Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic by Ann Baldwin as a favorite.

Kim Added that "for techniques this book is just brilliant!"
_______________

Semiprecious Salvage: Creating Found Art Jewelry


Both Kecia Deveney and Jen Crossley chose Semiprecious Salvage: Creating Found Art Jewelry by Stephanie Lee.
_______________

Making Connections: A Handbook of Cold Joins for Jewelers and Mixed-Media Artists


Susan Lenart Kazmer's Making Connections: A Handbook of Cold Joins for Jewelers and Mixed-Media Artists was favorited by both Ro Bruhn and Kerin Gale.
_______________

The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful


The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful by Gwen Diehn was a favorite book of both Erin Perry and Judith Stadler.

9 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Don't you just love good art books?!

ArtPropelled said...

I've read all of those except for two. Urgent 2nd Class is a book I've often wondered ...should I buy it.. or shouldn't I, and I'm still wondering.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I feel a sense of bubbling joy when I visit on Sundays....i have to find some quiet time to sit in my front porch swing and drink in these lovely books. Have a great weekend. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for these lists. I learn so much about style and substance, and my horizons broaden every time I come here.

Patti Edmon Artist said...

as the lucky owner of several of the books mentioned I'd like to add my love for those books and make a list for the ones I don't have!

Cynthia Monica said...

Oh, I am familiar with only a couple of the books....I will have to get to researching and reading....

Joanie Hoffman said...

Thanks, Seth. These choices remind me of books I haven't opened for a while (The Decorated Page, for example).
Robyn, Urgent 2nd Class was a book I bought & then wished I hadn't spent the money on it until...I took a more careful look at the pages and found tidbits that gave me just the push I needed to add to a project.
Go for it!

Anonymous said...

I've had a copy of Decorated Pages for awhile..and it's one of my favorites. I'm always going back to it for inspiration when I need it!

Anonymous said...

i have almost all of these books and i agree wholeheartedly that they are all fantastic. ironically, i just mentioned urgent 2ns class on my blog today too. that is a phenominal book, as all bantock books are. my newest is the museum at purgatory which is wonderful, though you likely have it as well.